Sometimes seemingly ordinary foods can become extraordinary with a little inspiration.
Braised Celery with Heirloom Carrots
- 3 celery stalks, with outer skin peeled off, cut into three-inch segments (reserve the leaves for garnish)
- 4 heirloom carrots peeled and cut into three- inch segments
- 1 T. vegan butter
- 3 T. onion or shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme plus a second sprig for garnish
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- ¼ c. white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- Flat leaf Italian parsley chopped
- Leaves of the celery stalk chopped
- 2 T. toasted pecans
- Fresh thyme
- Heat butter on low-medium heat until melted. Add garlic and butter and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and add carrots and celery. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and wine. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes until alcohol is burned off.
- Add fresh sprig of thyme.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low until vegetables are fork tender.
- Taste and add salt or pepper if needed. Remove from heat. Remove thyme sprig and squeeze fresh lemon on vegetables. Stir through and serve on top of brown rice.
- Garnish with parsley, celery leaves, toasted pecan and fresh thyme.