Don’t forget Fido this holiday season. Whip up a batch of vegan dog treats and make extra for holiday visits to friends with pets. They’ll love you for it.
Barkin’ Berry Biscuits (Vegan Dog Treats)
• 1 ¼ c. whole wheat flour (plus extra for board and rolling pin)
• 1/4 c. rolled oats
• ½ T. baking powder
• 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
* 1/2 c. blueberries miniature
- 1/4 c. mashed ripe banana
• 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, at room temperature – make sure it does not contain Xylitol – use a natural good quality peanut butter that is 100 percent peanuts
- Preheat to 375 degrees F. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until you form a ball of dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball and knead until smooth. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to about ¼ inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter – about 2 inch x 2 inch, or other shape if desired. If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle more on the board and rolling pin.
- Place on the cookie sheet and back for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Store in airtight container for up to one week.
- Makes about 28 biscuits.
Store in air tight container in fridge.