A favorite cookie year round, this version uses cranberries for a festive holiday look and taste.
Italian Wedding Cookies (Christmastime Version) – 40-Year-Old Vegan
- ¾ c. vegan butter (Earth Balance sticks are ideal for this recipe – use 1 ½ sticks)
- ¼ c. plus 2 T. organic confectioner’s sugar plus an additional ½ cup for rolling/garnish
- 1 large pinch salt
- ¾ c. finely ground pecans
- ½ c. coarsely chopped pecans
- ½ c. dried cranberries, cut in half or minced
- 1 T. pure vanilla extract
- 5 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In electric mixer, combined vegan butter with sugar and salt until fully incorporated. Pause to scrape mixture from sides of bowl and beaters.
- Add ground pecans and continue to mix until combined. Gradually add flour until fully combined and dough starts to form, scraping sides of bowl to incorporate.
- Remove mixer bowl and add chopped pecans and cranberries – fold in by hand with a spatula until the nuts and berries are evenly distributed.
- Use hands to form dough into a ball. It should feel like cold “Play-dough”. Ensure that the dough is fully mixed.
- Form balls by taking 1 T. of mixture and rolling in hands. Place each ball on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Mixture will yield 24 – 30 cookies.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The cookies should not brown.
- Let cool for five minutes.
- Place ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar on a plate and roll cookies in the sugar until coated. Cookies should still be slightly warm. Shake off excess sugar. Put on a separate plate and sprinkle with additional sugar by placing sugar in a sieve and tapping sieve to “dust” the cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!
Adaptation from All Recipes